Friday, March 16, 2007

This Blog is Banned in China!

The ban may not extend to all of China and there are ways to get around it, but what a surprise this morning when I typed the url "www.thehealthmediawatch.com" into the search box on greatfirewallofchina.org, a new website that allows you to check if sites are censored in China.

The message I got back was "Your URL is Blocked!"



Was it something I said? Or just the fact that I want my readers to be informed consumers of health information? Is that too dangerously close to being an independent thinker for a timid censor's taste?

Or is it all just some kind of weird technical error, as greatfirewallofchina.org admits is a possibility? Maybe the censorous servers of China don't like the fact that www.thehealthmediawatch.com is a domain-forwarding site that points you to www.thehealthmediawatch.blogspot.com. (I did that to make it easier to recall the url.) Too phishy?

At any rate, it shows once again the value of a free press--not just with respect to political news but to any kind of information, including health information.

No comments: